Monday, February 11, 2013

1 John 5:13

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

We live in a world of insurance. I was first formally introduced to the idea of insurance when I acquired my driver’s license from the state of Kentucky. As one of the requirements to drive a car in Kentucky, the driver must be insured. This means that every month, you send money to some company (GEICO, AllState, Progressive, or in my case USAA) and in return for the hundreds of dollars you send them, they send you back a little card that is of great importance.
Insurance exists because assurance does not. I have insurance on my car, because I don’t have the assurance that I will not wreck my car. Because of this uncertainty, I am forced to pay monthly premiums to guarantee that in the event of an accident everyone involved in the accident will be reimbursed. I just don’t know, and I can’t know what the future holds in regards to my car.
However, when we get to 1 John 5, John offers assurance to us. There are many things in this life that are uncertain. There are many things that we just don’t know and therefore we are forced to abide by the insurance lifestyle. But John writes in verse 13, there is one thing that you can know. He says, “these things have I written unto you…that ye may know that ye have eternal life.” There may not be assurance in many things now, but this one thing you could find assurance of – your eternal situation. Furthermore, he says that the ones who have the assurance, are the ones who “believe on the name of the Son of God.” Your assurance of your eternal situation starts with your faith in Jesus. It comes through what He accomplished for you on the cross, and how God’s grace extends because of Jesus through your faith. Beyond saving faith, John points back to his explanation of the characteristics of the truly converted- faith, love, and obedience. While many things in the future are uncertain, John writes that this one thing need not be. We can rest, assured that Jesus has accomplished for us what we could not. In a fluctuating, out-of-our-control, anything-can-happen, insurance world, it is nice to have something that we can count on.
Food for Thought: What does John say that we can “know”? What does this mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment