Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Psalm 121:7-8

The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore. 
I think life jackets are dorky. No matter how hip and trendy I dress (and let's face it, I'm a smooth dresser), when I put a life preserver on, I feel like a bloated fish. But I have been knocked out of boats, and I have quickly discovered that I don't care at all how I look when I'm gulping the lake. I'm just thankful that my life is being preserved by that orange jacket.
We've learned much about our God during Psalm 121. Today, we discover our God is the Preserver of our lives. But I need to let you in on a little secret. We've already covered this. Do you remember when we discussed how God is our Keeper? Are you ready for this? The two English words keep and preserve are actually the same word in the Hebrew language. So to be clear, the word keep shows up three times in the psalm, and the word preserve shows up three times in the psalm. We are told the same thing about God SIX TIMES in eight verses. Do you think we ought to pay attention?
God took pains to tell you something about himself. He is your Keeper and Preserver. He will protect you, save you, preserve you, and take care of you. You can bank on it! Perhaps God is repeating himself because you need to be shown again the loving arms of Jesus. Maybe you're thinking that nobody understands the things you're facing at home or work. Okay…so unload your cares on God. He is certain to be there for you. He is your Keeper. He is your Preserver.
How long will God be your life preserver? Well, according to the psalm, for all time and all eternity. God will even be preserving you from evil in heaven. If you thought there was no evil or sin in heaven, you'd be right. Why? Because God is forever your Preserver! You are special to him. He takes careful interest in you. Maybe you've been struggling with doubts of your salvation. Remember the words of Jesus. Nobody has the power to pluck you out of the Father's hand. He is your Preserver always and forever.
Because God is your Preserver…your Shade…your Keeper…and your Helper, what are you supposed to do? Lift up your eyes to him.
Final note: My teenagers tell me I'm woefully unstylish. But what do they know? They're teenagers.

Food for thought: Why do you think God tells you six times he will preserve and guard you?
- Andy Gleiser
Student Ministries Pastor | www.burgeterrace.org
Founder | www.3gministries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment