Thursday, June 27, 2013

Psalm 121:1-2, part 2

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Today, we'll look at the first two verses of Psalm 121 more closely as we consider that God is the Helper we need for our impossible situations. Let me begin with some fairly obvious questions. If you have a car problem, where do you go? Well, you go to the auto mechanic (don't sit there shaking your head because you know how to fix cars and I don't). Okay, so where do you go if you have a tooth problem? Not the auto mechanic! You obviously go to a dentist. It's so simple, isn't it? You take your problems to the one who can fix the problem. The same is true in all areas of your life. Take your problems, fears, questions, and hurts to the only One who can fix them.
Psalm 121 is one of the "Songs of Ascent." Don't turn me off just yet. This is cool. Each year, the faithful followers of God would journey to Jerusalem in order to worship him. Why go to Jerusalem? Because the temple was there! That building was a symbol of God and his presence in the land. So therefore, the temple in Jerusalem was thought of as the place where God is.
As they traveled in caravans, these families would sing Psalms 120-134 as they ascended to the hills of Jerusalem. When they sang, "I will lift up my eyes to the hills," they were saying, "I'm going to the One who can help me." And just in case you don't get what they're singing, they made it very clear. "My help is coming from Jehovah. He's the One who created everything."
They lifted their eyes from their problems to focus on the only One who could actually help. They knew the fears, sins, and trials of life were too big for them…but never too big for their God. And so, with strong confidence in God's power, they took their issues to the One who stepped out into nothing and created everything with just a word. That's power, folks. And you have this God in your life.
Remember Peter who wanted to meet Jesus on the Sea of Galilee? Jesus said, "Come on out, Peter." That dude did something you and I would never do. He stepped off the boat and began to walk on the waves. What Peter did was beyond belief. But he began to look around him and realized what he was doing. Immediately, he sank like a rock (that is what his name means, right?). As he was dropping beneath the foam, he prayed. I love his prayer. He didn't worry about properly forming his words. He didn't concern himself with how the other disciples would critique his prayer. He simply cried out, "Lord, help!" And Jesus gripped his hand firmly and pulled him up.
Isn't that prayer for help what we did in salvation? "Lord, help! I am a sinner. I believe you did for me on the cross what I could never do for myself. If you don't save me from my sins, I have nothing. I cast myself on you." Now, if we threw ourselves on Jesus' power for salvation, why are we trying to make our Christian life work without God's power? Stop trying your own skill and strength. It hasn't worked for you anyway. Lift your eyes to the only One who has the power to help you. You know who I'm talking about. He's the One who made heaven and earth. And you think your problem is too hard for him?

Food for thought: Why do you think we don't run to the Lord immediately for help?

- Andy Gleiser
Student Ministries Pastor | www.burgeterrace.org
Founder | www.3gministries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment